3.24.2010

Natural/Homemade Hair Treatments

On my quest to becoming a natural hair beauty I’ve realized one thing: Becoming natural is not less time consuming. I have some thick, kinky, coily dry hair and that’s just the way it is. It’s not unmanageable but doing my hair will be a process. Since the BC is coming up soon (approx 2 more months!!) I’ve been researching different treatments to “soften” my hair, make it more manageable.

These are the ones I hear the most about:

1. Baking Soda & Conditioner: These 2 ingredients, ½ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of your conditioner, are supposed to eliminate frizz, elongate your curl pattern (a.k.a. reduce dreaded shrinkage) reduces some of the hair’s bulkiness and leave hair soft/manageable. You can add a tablespoon of oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, castor, etc) if you would like. Apply like you would a relaxer (in sections) to damp, detangled and washed hair. When applied, cover with a plastic cap for 15 mins to 3 hours. Some people leave it on overnight but I don’t encourage it. Too much moisture results in mushy hair. Rinse and style.

2. Coconut & Lime: Now I’ve seen a lot of different variations for this one but most common is coconut milk and the juice of a lime. Basically it is applied all over the hair after washing hair and covered with a cap for 15 mins to an hour. Some have used coconut cream because the milk was too messy and they wanted something thicker.

3. Cherry Lola: Developed by Cherry Lola, it’s a combination of Braggs' liquid aminos, yogurt, and baking soda applied to dry hair. From what I’ve read on her site, it is supposed to start working pretty quickly so it can be rinsed out after only a few mins. The only thing that concerns me is the smell but that can be fixed with a co-wash afterwards.

4. Caramel (Carmel): Now this treatment can be bought online or made at home. If you opt for the homemade version, you need a combination of bananas, honey, molasses, olive oil, water, ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar), cornstarch and coconut oil (these last two ingredients are optional) Leave it on as long as you desire. Click here for the exact measurements.

My plan is to try all of these and come back with a review and a more in depth explanation of each. The baking soda & conditioner is first on my list because it’s the easiest to do. Afterwards I’ll probably give the Caramel treatment a try because one of my fellow naturals tried it after I had inquired and she said it worked pretty well.

I dunno what’s wrong with me. I haven’t even cut my hair yet and I’m already plotting on all the things I’m gonna do it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment