1.22.2012

"Believe deep down in your heart that you're destined to do great things" Joe Paterno

Now this has nothing to do with hair or clothes or music but it is something near and dear to my heart.  As a kid I grew up dreaming about going to Penn State simply based on a cheerleader Barbie my mother has bought me. I knew nothing about the school but I knew that's where I needed to be.  

When it came time to go to college, Penn State was the only place on my list and making the decision to go there was the best decision of my life (although my parents may claim otherwise.)  The life experience and the friendships I had made have carried through and for that I am thankful.  This school is a family.  And the pride Penn Staters have is like nothing I have ever seen before.  

With that being said, today Penn State University, hell college football, has lost its patriarch. Joseph Vincent Paterno better known as Joe Pa, lost his battle with lung cancer today.  I can't say that I knew him as well as say a football player but just being in his presence at a Pep Rally, seeing him run across that football field, or trick or treating at his house made a lot of Penn Staters feel like we did.  

By now I'm sure everyone knows about the scandal that's been in the news for the past few months, and regardless of your opinions of right and wrong, I think this literally tore Joe Pa apart.  Not only did he bear the burden of guilt but he also had one of the greatest things in his life taken away from him in such an undignified manner.  

I just wanted to pay my respects to a man who helped me learn a few things through his words and actions; on and off the field.  

We Are... Forever Grateful.
We Are... Penn State.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment