5.18.2010

Product Review: IC Fantasia Olive Oil Styling Gel

From researching natural hair for so long, I’ve learned that my hair type (4a/b/c) usually does better in “stretched” styles such as twists, twist outs, braids, and braid outs.  So my first style after my BC was a twist out.  I knew that just using a moisturizer wouldn’t hold the style so I decided to try out the jar of IC Fantasia Olive Oil Styling Gel that I bought when I first started installing kinky twists back in August 2009.

The process went like this:  I applied my Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Style Milk to wet hair (not soaking wet but not damp).  Then parted medium sized sections of my hair with my fingers. I find it makes it easier to cover the parts later on rather than using a comb to make deep parts.  The more visible the part, the more manipulation it takes to cover it up when the twists are undone.  Too much manipulation can easily lead to frizz and less defined twist outs.  Before twisting, I applied a dab of gel to the sections and twisted to the end.  That’s about it.  Just repeated until my entire head was done, which took forever.  I’m starting to agree with the BF and accept the fact that I have a big head because SHEESH, my arms sure did get a workout.

So the next morning I removed my scarf and made sure my hair was completely dry before unraveling them.  I rubbed my hands in coconut oil and carefully took each twist apart.  So far, so good.  I styled it to a point where I was satisfied and ran over to show my mom because she was working the day before and didn’t know I chopped my hair off.  During my transition, my mom wasn’t against me doing this but she wasn’t exactly a fan either.  I showed her and she liked it! Well I think she did, “It doesn’t look bad,” were her words “Except what’s all that white stuff in your hair”…. THE GEL!!  It looked like a bad case of dandruff. The twist out came out fine minus the scab hair that needs to go but the white flaked ruined it I know some naturals have had success with using gel but it’s not for me.  Oh well… On to the next one: 100% pure aloe vera gel.

My Verdict: 0/5

I don’t want to just toss the other half of the jar away so I’m waiting for an NY natural meet up to swap it.  Maybe someone else will have better luck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment