5.16.2010

So I BC'd but...

Sunday, May 9, 2010 was the big day. I am now 100% natural.  Didn’t cry, didn’t have a major freak out (maybe because I mini-chopped every time I removed my kinky twists.) I mean I even kinda loved it.  Honestly I was shocked that I even went through with it because I’m the type of person that gets comfortable and isn’t a big fan of change.  Oh boy was that ever a change.  I went from shoulder length straight hair to tightly coiled kinks that shrink to an inch unless they’re manipulated.  My boyfriend and I decided to cut it ourselves but I had one request: Cut but leave a little bit of the relaxed hair.  I didn’t want to sacrifice length.  From this I learned one thing: SCAB HAIR.  I’m convinced it really does exist.

In the natural hair world there’s a debate as to whether or not scab hair exists.  The best way for me to define it is a rough patch of hair that exists while transitioning. While growing my hair out I realized that the hair around the line of demarcation was unusually rough but I just figured it was because I was so used to the relaxed hair and it would change when I cut it. To me, it’s like the relaxer affects the hair below the scalp so the hair get a little tougher as a barrier.  My assumption is probably wrong and that’s fine.  I haven’t studied hair to know why it happens.  All I know is it doesn’t necessarily represent your natural texture.  I noticed that when I did a twist out on my hair the first couple of days, the ends were super dry and frizzy but the rest of my hair held the style real well.  Frustrating! Well I attribute that to scab hair.  How do I fix that you ask? Well I’ll tell you, lol.  Cut it. Simple as that… Or so you would think.  I can’t cut it.  For some reason that’s too short for me so I’ve decided to throw my kinky twists back in until my birthday possibly (end of July.) I know, I know.  The plan is to take them out in July and head to a natural hairdresser to cut the ends.  The next two months are devoted to finding a great hairdresser.  Not too many of my friends are natural and the ones that are do it themselves so I have some work to do. 

While BC-ing I decided to kill two birds with one stone: BC and try the baking soda and conditioner treatment.  More on that in another post.  I’m also trying to edit all 22 minutes of video we recorded so hopefully that will make it to MeEntirely in the near future.  But here are a couple of pics of the cut.

Obviously I'm not looking as glam as I would like but I'm okay with it for the sake of documenting my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment