1.10.2011

Henna Review: Take Two

I henna-ed again for the first time in a long time.  I had another box of Jamila henna that I bought back when I did my first henna gloss, so I decided to whip some up and see how it turned out.  This henna mixture was not like the last.  I had been wanting to experiment with coconut milk for quite some time and I happened to have some in my cabinet so I figured why not combine the two.

I took the entire box of Jamila henna, mixed it with an entire can of coconut milk.  You don't have to use an entire can, I just kept adding until the mix was smooth.  I also threw in 2 tablespoons of cinnamon, for color.  Now I knew I my hair color wasn't going to change drastically but those stress grays that I have would turn brown and that's always a plus.  Initially I was going to add paprika for red but I was a little concerned about using a "hot" spice in my hair.  I never wanna revisit a burning sensation on my head... cue to flashback to just about every relaxer I ever got.

After I mixed the two I let it sit overnight and added olive oil right before I put it on my hair. The application was easy, didn't make a mess but I made sure I had gloves on (don't want orange hands now ) But the rinse out took forever.  Even when I thought I was done, I looked in the mirror and still had plenty of henna to go.  What I'll probably do next time is sift the henna before I mix it up.  It was so gritty that it got caught in my hair and took tons of conditioner to get it out.  And I was so tired.  I had let it sit in my hair for 6 hrs and it was 10 pm when I rinsed it out. (Note to self: henna is an early project, starting at 3:30, 4 is never a good idea)

Once I finally got it all out I was way too tired to do anything else so I sealed my hair with some JBCO, threw a scarf on and went to bed.  The next morning I DC'ed with Miss Jessie's SST, detangled with my double detangler comb and finally did what I needed to do for so long: TRIM MY ENDS.  I've really underestimated how much extra care my hair needs in the winter so my ends were just a mess.

I didn't have a lot to cut off length-wise, it just looks like it.  I then proceeded to flat twist my hair because I'm determined to master it. (So I tried the flat twist out- huge utter abysmal FAIL.  I don't know why but it seems to straighten my hair, one day though one day I'll have it down) So I sprayed my hair just a little and now I'm back in "Old Faithful" aka Two strand Twists.

I'll have some after pics for you guys tomm (hopefully)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment