1.09.2011

"They'll Just Watch Us Glow"

I am in love with the oil cleansing method (OCM).  Now I'm not going to get into all the details about it because let's be honest: I didn't discover it and it's on many-a natural hair blog so I feel a little repetitive explaining it.  I'll just take the lazy route and link it this way, lol:

The Oil Cleansing Method

I'm probably what's considered combination skin.  Some areas are dry and peeling while others are glowing (aka shiny).  My face just cannot seem to find a balance.  The dry spots are ridiculously dry in the winter and the shinier areas are an oil slick in the warmer months.  No matter which face wash or moisturizer  I tried, I just felt gross by the end of the day.  I found out about the OCM about a year ago and since then I've never felt better about my face.

Sort of...

I never quite followed the OCM exactly.  I never used castor oil and started off with coconut oil, which was fine (or at least I thought.)  Now that it's freezing over here in NY, I started up with my coconut oil and I got that  gross feeling... AGAIN!  Lucky for me and my obsession with products, I decided to try some of the others in my drawer.

JBCO-nope

Grapeseed- not so much

Vitamin E- ding, ding, ding!  I just bought the Vitamin E recently because I finished two bottles of conditioner in my drawer.  (I think I OD'd on condititoner while washing these twists but oh well, got the job done)

I've been cleaning my face with it for about a week now and I don't see any shine or feel the need to blot my face during the day. And my face doesn't look dry either.

Finally I can get the makeup I put on be responsible for the glow, not my greasy a** face.

Ahh so quick to judge...

Up above I was raving about using Vitamin E and how not greasy I was.  That was true and great but what wasn't great were the breakouts.  My forehead went from smooth to bumps, blemishes and pimples galore- NOT CUTE!  I think the breakouts were caused because my skin didn't think enough oil was being produced.  I had read that you can get pimples from super oily skin and skin that is trying to increase sebum production due to dry skin.  Although it didn't look dry, I guess it was.  Once I noticed that I switched back to coconut oil and I think I found out what my initial problem was.  I was using way too much and in the wrong areas.  I've adjusted the way I apply it so that I focus more coconut oil on the area surrounding my mouth and the area between my eyebrows,  Those are my driest areas.  Then I lightly apply some to the rest of my face.  My forehead and nose barely get anything and that's fine.

Now I wasn't so quick to judge with this method either.  I've been doing this for a few weeks now.  I would like to say my face has defientely improved.  I just make sure to exfoliate 1-2 times a week with a washcloth, take it easy on the coconut oil and i'm good to go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment