10.09.2010

Product Review: Karen's Body Beautiful Butter Love

I've heard about Karen's Body Beautiful for some time now and the product junkie in me always contemplated ordering online. Lord knows I stalked that site religiously, as I do with every other company natural women rave about.  What peaked my interest was the assortment of scents that they have and her hair.  LOL.  Now if you have ever seen a picture of Karen, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  She has this big halo of hair that I pray I can get to one day.

On one of my random trips to Brooklyn (well not so random I went to grab contact solution from my dad's optical store), I decided to make a huge detour and stop by KBB.  I did it to avoid that killer rush hour traffic.  I dunno when it happened but what used to be a 15 minute trip has turned into 45 minutes just about any and everywhere in NY, that's partially why it's time for me to move.

Anyway, sorry my focus is the worst, I just happened to be searching for a new butter to seal with since my shealoe concoction was starting to turn my hair white and oils just didn't seem to be cutting it for the most part.  (I don't want you to think oils don't work for me at all because JBCO works after washing but the smell is too much for daily use and grapeseed works when I don't need something heavy.  I was missing something that satisfied the "heavier days" Wow that sounded like a period commercial).  See lost focus again.  From the site, I had read about Butter Love and thought it could be a good substitute.  While I was in the store, I spent a good amount of time going up and down the product wall smelling each fragrance but kept coming back to the Creamy Coco Mango and the Coco Lime.

Then out the corner of my eye, I saw it.  Her hair.  Karen walked in and it didn't matter what i was doing before, I was much more concerned with her hair.  It really is gorgeous.  I tried to curb my feelings of hair envy and just couldn't.  I said hi as I went to pay for my jar of Butter Love (I went with Creamy Coco Mango) but my eyes couldn't help but stare.  It's kinda like when guys are fixated on my boobs.  I no longer blame them, they have no control over it, though they may try.

Let's get to this review: It contains an assortment of butters: shea, mango, cocoa, jojoba, and aloe butter along with essential oils, fragrance oils, grapeseed oil and Vitamin E.  I paid $18 (plus tax) for it, which I didn't notice because I was distracted and just handed my card over.  I read the receipt when I got in my car and kinda cursed at myself.  I don't typically spend that much on hair products but what's done was done.

The first night I used it was on pretty dirty dry hair that I needed to retwist.  As soon as it hits your fingers, it melts.  My shealoe never really melted completely from my hands so that's probably part of the reason my hair looked white.  Also a little goes a long way.  You know how some people says all you need is a little and when you have it your "little" is the size of a quarter.  That's what I expected but honestly all you need is a little, about half the size of a dime.  That's all I used for each twist.  Since that's the case, the $18 price tag didn't seem so bad anymore.  So after untwisting the next morning I couldn't help but smile.  Sometimes you gotta shell out a little more money than planned for results.  I love it!  My hair has more of a sheen to it.   It doesn't feel heavy and weighing my hair down.  My ends aren't drying out quickly as they were before.  It's been about a month since I've been using it and I haven't made a dent in it.  Which is great because I use it almost daily.  Now the label says it's best on dry hair and while it is great on dry hair, it works really well when I twist on damp hair also.  Don't feel like you need to limit it to strictly dry hair, it all depends on your hair and how it behaves.

I will say this though:  If you don't melt it between your fingers, there is a chance that you hair will look white and dingy but that can be solved but rubbing it into your hair more.  And as you get towards the bottom, (the way I've using it, there's a well in the middle and the sides are intact) it can be a little grainy compared to the top, nothing to really worry about because it goes away but just a heads-up.

If you're in or near Brooklyn, stop by the store and if you're not, order online.  Especially if your problem is keeping moisture in, relaxed or natural.

My Verdict: 5/5

After reading what I wrote I feel I need to put this out there... I do not work for Karen's Body Beautiful and was not paid for this review.  I bought this product on my own accord and really do like it.  I'm not trying to sell it for them, I am just giving my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment