6.08.2010

Prepoo Vs. Deep Conditioning

All the research I had done during my year of transitioning introduced me to a world of terms & acronyms that I had never heard before: TWA, Cowash, BAA, and more.  One of my newly learned terms... Prepoo.  A prepoo is basically a deep conditioning treatment applied to hair before washing with either shampoo or conditioner.  So if that's the case, why am I titling this post "Prepoo Vs. Deep Conditioner?" Because I've never heard anyone call it anything else.  Whenever I read other blogs or visit a forum, I know deep conditioning refers to a treatment that is applied to hair after washing and then rinsed out.  I call them all deep conditioning treatments.

Is one better than the other? To me, it's a matter of preference.

I personally like prepoo-ing or deep conditioning before I wash my hair.  Something about washing my hair in the shower only to get out, hang around with more stuff in my hair and then get back INTO the shower is annoying.  Also it's a waste of water and I'm semi-green.  I would much rather slap some stuff on either the night before I plan on washing my hair or the day of.  Like right now, I'm prepoo-ing as I write this.  After I'm done, I'll just throw myself into the shower, hop out and twist my hair.

What do I use to deep condition? (I'm gonna call it deep conditioning or DC from here on but just know that it really doesn't make a difference as to when you choose to do it)

I haven't found the HG (holy grail; another term I've learned) DC treatment so I am experimenting until I find something I really like.  Since I decided to wash my hair last minute, I decided to sit under the dryer for 45 minutes with my combination of HE Hello Hydration, honey and olive oil.  If I had known last night, I might have DC'd then.  I do know that if I'm DC-ing overnight then I use only oils (usually a combination of JBCO, olive oil and coconut oil) and saturate my hair.  If I'm doing it on a wash day then it's either the conditioner mix or the oil mix.  I don't like to use the conditioner mix overnight because it leaves my hair way too soft which means too much moisture.  Too much moisture means fragile hair that will break easily.

I'm always up for new methods of conditioning so fi you have any, please share.  Let me know what works best for your hair, conditioning before washing, or after?

1 comment:

  1. Hi.Good article.I heard of pre-pooing but was reluctacnt to jump on the bandwagon.There ssem to be so many i was quite overwhelmed! However i had tried a product and it left my hair dry; so i had to wash my again a few days later so decided to do a Olive oil and honey treat.
    It worked really well and did save me water and a trip to the shower.I completely agree to the fustration of going to wash hair again so for me the prepoo/DC is here to stay! :D

    ReplyDelete