6.14.2010

There's Nothing Wrong with Cheap

The other day I couldn't decide which conditioner I wanted to use for my cowash.  It was between Trader Joe's Nourish conditioner and Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner.  So I turned the bottles over and read the ingredients, only to find out that they're just about IDENTICAL. Now as much time as I spend on natural hair blogs, I don't know why I haven't come across that discovery.

Here's the list: Water, Rosemary Oil, Valencia Orange Citrus, Mango, Lemongrass, Ginko Biloba, Echinacea, Willow Bark, Sea Kelp, Chamomile, Soy Protein, Lavender, Grapefruit... there are a few more from each but that's where they differ.  Giovanni has glycerin, TJ's doesn't.  TJ's has Vitamin E, Giovanni doesn't.

Now since they're basically the same, the should work the same right? Wrong.  My hair does not seem to like Giovanni.  I ended up choosing Smooth as Silk to cowash with and I was mad I did.  The bottle design is the worst so I struggled trying to get this super thick conditioner out of it.  I do like the fact that it's thick but other than that I'm not impressed because detangling was still somewhat difficult.  My hair felt ehh afterwards but I know it can and absolutely has, felt better.  The TJ's Nourish however, makes detangling a breeze and it's so much cheaper. Nourish runs about $3 while Giovanni was $8.  The bottle doesn't give me problems.  And my hair feels soft.  There's nothing like a reasonably priced product that works well. I'm thinking I'm gonna mix the two of them together since I'm about halfway through each of them and see how that works out.  Maybe I'll try a Giovanni product again but right now I'm not in a hurry because my experiences with them.  (I had tried the direct leave-in a while back and immediately returned it because my hair felt brittle and crunchy, never a good look)

My Verdict for Giovanni Smooth as Silk: 2/5

My Verdict for Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment