6.29.2010

What’s In My Spray Bottle?

Whenever I wanna wake my hair up or kinda protect it from the harsh sun & heat, the first thing I reach for is my trusty spray bottle.  It re-moisturizes my hair and keeps it nice and soft.  Now I don’t saturate my hair so that I completely lose my style but I do lightly mist it all over.  During the time that I wore kinky twists, I experimented with different things, most of which were failures.  There was the water, JBCO, coconut oil and pure aloe vera gel combo… a complete failure.  For some reason everything clumped together at the top and clogged the nozzle.  I’m not too sure what caused it but the only thing I can think of was the thick, sticky JBCO.  Because I know many ladies out there use the other ingredients with no problem.  Then there was water, conditioner, coconut oil, which was decent.  Currently my bottle is filled with water, coconut oil, olive oil and some Shea Moisture Moisture Mist.  I love all my Shea Moisture products but that was my least favorite because it felt sticky when I sprayed it.  I’m not one for wasting so I poured a little into the bottle for fun and YEP, I found a keeper.  My hair stays soft but doesn’t frizz, thanks to the SMMM.  It’s not sticky and still has that lovely Coconut Hibiscus scent.

I don’t measure any of it but if I had to guess I’d say it’s

8 oz. water

2-3 oz. SMMM

1 tsp olive oil

and 1 tsp coconut oil

If you wanna give it a try you can add/replace the oils with any oil you choose.  Something like sweet almond oil seems like it would work really well with this.

Spray as needed, especially if your hair is feeling a little parched.  The way the sun beats down on me & The Fro, I catch myself spraying at least 3-4 times throughout the day.  Definitely have a travel spray bottle that goes everywhere with me.

I’m thinking about what to try next.  I’ve been hearing about adding a little sunscreen so I may give that a go.

I wanna know: What’s in your mix?

4 comments:

  1. I use a mix of water, aloe vera gel and a squirt of honey. My hair loves this mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use that in the winter? I'm worried about the honey b/c it's humenctant but it sounds like something I wanna try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mangomadness11/3/10, 7:29 AM

    Yes, I do. I use honey all year round. In my spritz and shealoe (shea butter/ aloe vera gel/ honey). I only use my shealoe in the fall/winter to seal because it's too heavy otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna see how my hair works with honey in the winter. This dry NY fall/winter air scares me so I'm trying to keep all the moisture I can.

    ReplyDelete