9.22.2010

Butter Love

So I've picked up on something. My beloved shealoe mix is turning my hair an ashy, white-grey and I don't like it.  Now I don't know if it's the ratio of shea butter to aloe vera gel but I can't handle it anymore.  I keep thinking it's gonna disappear but when I untwist the next day, still there and the more I fight to get it out, the frizzier my hair becomes.

My solution... Find a new butter to seal with.  Now it's gonna be hard to part with the shealoe because it was so good to my hair (for the most part) but I'm on a search something that works as well, if not better.  I could go back to Safi HairCare's Avocado Shea Hair Butter but I'm exploring my options first.  I happened to be in Brooklyn the other day and stopped to pick up some Butter Love at Karen's Body Beautiful.  I've only used it twice so I'll make an official judgment call (aka product review) in the near future.

Oils, aside from castor oil, only cut it in the daytime for me when I don't want something so heavy to weigh my hair down.  My ideal would be finding a butter or oil that worked day and night.

If you have any suggestions for butter sealants, I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with shea butter when I first bc'd in June. I couldn't understand it! Now I know that shea butter coats the hair strand (doesn't absorb AT ALL!) and if used daily w/o washing, you're hair will get build up.

    I do twist-outs a lot and the combo that leaves my hair looking and feeling the best is Giovanni Direct Leave-in (diluted with spring water) and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. I use this combo after a wash to twist and my twists are soft, defined and SHINY. Then when I retwist each night (or every other night, depending on my mood), I sub Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive cream for the Shea Moisture, to avoid the butter build up. Qhemet seems to sink in better, with less build up, and my twists still look and feel good. I wash with moisturizing shampoo (Shea Moisture line) about 1x a week and cowash with Yes to Cucumbers 1x a week. I found that frequent co-washing contributes to the build-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. marcysuburbs9/22/10, 5:59 PM

    Oooh products I haven't tried yet, lol! I've been hearing great things about the "Yes to" line. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete