9.15.2010

Henna Gloss Review

Last night I decided to spend my Saturday night in the house watching PSU football and finally henna glossing.  Here's the mixture that I used.  After the henna defrosted I poured some into a plastic bowl and threw the rest back in the freezer.  Now I hadn't added any oil yet so I added about 2 teaspoons of grapeseed oil and maybe a teaspoon of cinnamon.  Now I read that cinnamon adds to the red color and I know the color change will probably be minimal but what the heck, gonna try it anyway.  If it does work I'll add it at the very beginning next time I henna.  In most posts I've read henna is applied to freshly washed hair so I shampooed my hair with Curls Creamy cleanser and proceeded to apply the mix in small sections.  After my entire head was covered, I threw on some saran wrap, a plastic cap over it and a scarf.  Then it was time for some football.  Bad football.  Penn State was not the team I know and love.  I could have left it in overnight but I'm scared of how drying it could be so I decided 4 hours was enough.

Rinsing my hair was a huge pain.  Ugh I rinsed and I rinsed and I rinsed.  And my tub turn a lovely shade of mud brown.  I finished rinsing and conditioned with my favorite HETT and then proceeded to set my hair.  My hair was soft (thank goodness!) but I didn't notice any clumping of curls and coils like some ladies get.  While I got in front of the mirror I saw that I got no visible color change.  I can't find that pesky gray hair so I'm taking that as a good sign.  I decided to do some two strand twists because I noticed that banding is causing knots and tangles at the ends of my hair. If I do I'll probably band the twists instead of leaving them loose.  Today I used my Design Essential Leave-In which I haven't used in ages, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and Shealoe to seal.  I also took this opportunity to clip my ends because they look a mess- knots and dryness galore.  I only trim while my hair is twisted.  I find that it's much easier for me.

Now it's Sunday and I haven't left the house so my hair's still twisted.  I won't know how I feel about the process until tomorrow when I do my hair.  I will say this, my shedding was almost non-existent.  I'll attribute that to henna's strengthening properties.  I don't wanna give my verdict just yet, I'll probably wait til I try it again next month.  I like it but I don't know if it's worth going through all that trouble when I can just buy a protein leave-in that I don't have to fuss with.

Oh well.

Here are some pics of the henna in my hair and after it had been rinsed out.  Please excuse my ends because I didn't trim them until after my hair was twisted up and as you can see they were in need of it.

(Head full of henna)

(all rinsed out, Slight color deposit but nothing noticeable)

1 comment:

  1. kalishacherise10/9/10, 6:09 PM

    as i read this post i have head full of henna anyway i love it too, cant waiit to see the change in my hair!!!

    ReplyDelete