7.19.2010

Mini-Rant

So the other day I was out with my mom shoe shopping.  While walking around a woman walked up to me and said she liked my hair.  I said thank you and smiled.  Then my mom oped her mouth and said, "What is there to like about your hair? You don't even comb it."

WHAT? Record Scratch.

It was really one of  those moments where I wanted to be like, "Listen Lady..." but alas I couldn't because it was my mom.  Well that smile and confidence I had from the compliment was now gone and I was over shopping.

My family has known that I was going through this whole transition with the intention of no longer relaxing my hair.  But my mom seemed to have it in her mind that I would just be straightening my hair all the time. She didn't think I wouldn't be cutting it off and rocking my kinks/coils.  She doesn't like it. She told me "I was prettier with my other hair." Neither does my father.  The first thing he said to me when he saw my hair was, "So is this how you're gonna keep your hair because that's a lousy idea."

Wow all that? Lousy? I was prettier? I'm your daughter.

Bet if my hair was silky and curly they'd be singing a different tune.  But it's not. This is the hair I was born with because of them.  It's a shame that they can't love it the way I do.  The rest of my family and friends have been super supportive and embraced it.  I remember going to a family bbq and everyone told me that natural hair very me and they love it.  Even my boyfriend's family has complimented my hair.

Now, I know my parents and I know more comments are coming.   I don't need them to like it but I do need them to accept that this is what it is.  Whatever I choose to do to my hair or my body is MY decision.  Tattoos (another thing they hate on me) and all.

How do you deal with criticism, especially if the change you've made reflects who you really are as a person?

No comments:

Post a Comment