7.18.2010

Product Review: Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment

Time for another review.  Recently I was lucky enough to win a contest hosted by Danielle, the Style and Beauty Doctor.  The prize was a regular size jar of Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback Treatment.  I couldn't have been happier.  I've always wanted to try these products because I hear mostly bad things about them so I wanted to judge for myself.  Usually I tend to hear that their products contain mineral oil so they shouldn't be so pricey.  If you do not know, mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum and many attribute it to clogging pores, therefore making it pretty unhealthy for hair.  It seems to me that mineral oil is a no-no in the natural hair community.  But there are some women who use it and have no problems with it clogging, weighing hair down or leading to build-up.
While I am "natural" I do not believe that all the products I use need to "natural" themselves although many of them are.  Whatever works best for my hair is what I use.  I'm open to trying different things, but that's a whole other post.
The biggest reason I had not tried any of Miss Jessie's products is the price.  I just can't bring myself to pay around $50 for a hair product.
Here's their claim: "Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback treatment is the essential treatment for growing out naturally curly, kinky, and wavy hair. Healthy growth and length is what most curlies covet. Miss Jessie's can assist you in this process. An elongated curl has more bounce, is more manageable, and is less prone to frizz. Be super sweet to your curls* Miss Jessie's Super Sweetback treatment is a decadent softening treatment which ensures that your curls reach long luxurious length. This rich treatment full of shea butter and centella extract is a growth stimulant that promotes long healthy curls. Your hair is going to love you for this!"


I applied to damp hair in sections and combed through with a wide tooth comb, which I normal don't do until I'm in the shower.  But hey, for the sake of experimentation, I did.  My comb slid thru my hair easily.  I then proceeded throw on my plastic cap and sit under a dryer for 45 mins, which is what I normally do if I chose not apply it overnight.  After time was up I removed the cap- NO SHRINKAGE!  When I DC I tend to remove the cap and see that my hair shrunk to about 1/3 of its stretched length.  Not this time around.  I have to admit.  I was impressed but the true test: How does it hold up after rinsing?  No shrinkage and manageable hair as promised. I can't really say much about the growth stimulant since it was my first time but if I notice any changes as I continue to use it, I'll let you know.
Another Miss Jessie's complaint is usually the scent.  SST smells like that bubble gum antibiotic I used to have to take as a kid.  Can't complain about that, I used to sneak in the fridge when I was young and drink it for fun. So if you're not into a smell like that you may be turned off because it lingers in your hair even after it's rinsed.
I have to say I was expecting the worst but I really like this product and can't wait to try another of their products. The label says it's a weekly deep treatment but I'm gonna do every other week because I'm being a cheapie, lol.  The jar says, "The best darn deep treatments, period" The best? Ehh too soon to say, but pretty darn good in my opinion.
My Verdict: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment