8.07.2010

Use Protection

Not only when it comes to your sexual heath but with your hair as well.  As you may have read I'm about to go into protective style mode.

Protective styles can be a variety of things.  Keeping your hair in twists or braids (with or without extensions); wigs, weaves or caps, even something as simple as pulling your hair back into a bun.  It keeps your hair, particularly your ends, away from the harsh weather and even fabrics that it can come into contact with.  I'm a huge scarf lover and I know my ends constantly rubbing against them will lead to nothing but dryness and split ends.

Now sometimes a protective style can be more harmful then helpful.  Don't forget to moisturize as well as you can and make sure if your hair's braided, it's not too tight.  Now if you have a cap sewn onto your head it's a little harder to access your scalp.  Trust me, I know.  It was the longest, most miserable 3 weeks but I loved the style.

If you have limited access to your scalp, I wouldn't leave the style in for more than 3-5 weeks but that's just me.  Some styles give you the chance to clean your scalp like twists; in that case you can use a braid spray (which never worked for me,) cotton ball soaked in witch hazel or an applicator bottle filled with diluted shampoo.

I'm a little tired of the heat and humidity and what it's doing to my poor Fro so I'm trying my hand at crochet braids.  I found a pretty simple tutorial from VirtuousLadyAmber.

I could've done kinky twists again but I wanted something new.  I'm sure they'll be back though since I plan to protective style 3, maybe 4 times a year.

Wish me luck, I'll make sure I put some pics up when I get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment