8.30.2010

Product Review: Curls (for Target) Creamy Curl Cleanser

Impulsive me.  Took the crochet braids out last nite because I really missed my hair.  And now... I'm ready to put them back in, lol.  My main reason for doing it was because the humidity was driving me crazy but now the weather's starting to change since fall is right around the corner (gasp!)  I loved how big my hair was and I know this style wouldn't work in the winter because I need something that can fit under a hat.  This is probably my last opportunity to do it again until next spring. :(  So even though my hair is out now by the end of the week it may be braided again.

But while removing the crochet braids I managed to try out a new product. Yay! I think that's why I was so antsy to take them out.  I have a bunch of new products to try but just couldn't.  They were just there... in my drawer, taunting me.

Now as you may know I decided to follow a no-poo regimen when I became natural.  That means I do not shampoo my hair, strictly conditioner washes (co-washes.)  Shampoo can be very drying to hair particularly because of the sulfates in it.  Sulfates are the ingredients that cause that lovely lather that you get as while washing your hair.  Lather is always what made me think I was getting the job done and my hair was really clean.  Although I only co-wash my hair hadn't been washed in 3 weeks and I did continue to moisturize so I could only imagine the buildup. Eww. No way I didn't think conditioner would be enough to rid 3 weeks worth of crap.  Aside from a really great deep conditioning I needed to make sure that I cleaned my hair and scalp.  So off to Target I went.  I actually went there for a completely different reason but you know how that goes.  I couldn't find my fave brand's shampoo (Shea Moisture) but they did have Miss Jessie's and Curls for Target.  Cool. Which one to choose? Miss Jessie's tends to have high prices while the Curls is more in my price range.  So I went with Curls which was only $10.  I later discovered that the Miss Jessie's is only $14 so maybe next time.

This is Curls Creamy Curl Cleanser.  Free of parabens and sulfates, which should mean no dry brittle hair for me.  Now it smells awesome.  Kinda like cake.  A lot of my products smell like cake some to think of it.  Not a complaint just an observation.

I didn't pre-poo this time, just went straight to sectioning my hair, and shampooing.  I really did expect the worst.  Maybe some tears shed, tons of hair loss.  Nope, not this time.  Although there was no real lather, I could see that was hair was cleaned properly.  Especially as I rinsed it out (again eww but my hair was dirty) No more itching.  No dry scalp or flakes.  The one thing that made me feel like this was something I want to use more often was the fact that I could get my fingers through my hair without a problem.  Had I decided to try that with any of my old shampoos, a good chunk of my hair would come out in my hand.

Whether natural or relaxed, kinky or curly, I think this is an awesome shampoo.  Clean hair without it feeling stripped.  I'm thinking I'm going to start shampooing once a month because I really liked the way my hair felt yesterday.

My Verdict: 4/5 (it gets a 4 because this is my first foray into sulfate-free shampoos so as I explore them I may find that 5 star product and I don't wanna be so quick to consider this the BEST)

No comments:

Post a Comment