8.06.2010

Weekend Plans

It's the weekend!!! And it's also time for me to do my hair.  Just recently I found an Indian store in my area and bought some henna because I am determined to get rid of my gray hairs.  Plus it's supposed to be a pretty good strengthening treatment so it can't hurt to try.  My biggest problem is that I heard it's can be very drying so I'm gonna be in need of a really good DC afterwards.  So late, last night after an amazing John Legend concert out in Brooklyn I decided to whip up a henna gloss instead of a straight treatment and have it ready for today.

What's a henna gloss and henna treatment, you ask?

Henna gloss is a mix of henna and conditioner which is supposedly not as drying as a regular henna treatment.  A henna treatment from what I've seen usually contains come sort of acidic base like lemon juice or green tea (which is usually the culprit for the dryness)  There are so many variations for henna mixtures; some people use coconut milk, orange juice, chamomile tea, or simply water.  The color deposit is supposed to be stronger with henna treatment but I've seen videos where a henna gloss has yielded some pretty good color.  I don't expect my hair color to change because my nautral hair color is pretty dark.

I decided to follow the Moptop Maven's YouTube video with some slight variation in conditioner and oil. I mixed a box of Jamila henna (100g), hot water, approx a tablespoon of honey and as much conditioner (Trader Joe's Nourish) as needed til it was mixed into a yogurt consistency.  I've read that henna doesn't react well with metal so I used a plastic bowl and plastic spoon to combine everything.  When you start the mixture is a green color with a smell that reminds me of dried out ,cut grass.  I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and set it aside so the dye could release.  This morning I checked on the mix and it went from green to brown. Dye released, yes!  Now that the dye has released I'm gonna add some grapeseed oil to the mix.

Now the plan was to try it out this weekend but I'm going into protective style mode (my next post will be all about that) on Sunday. My grays will be hidden for at least 3 weeks.

I'll just wash this weekend with a new conditioner and work on a review instead.  This means my henna mix is going into the freezer and I will try again another time. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment